Friday, June 5, 2009

a series of rambles


montana is putting up a facade of summer-like weather, only to squash our tiny and faint dreams with saturdays of 55 degree clouds and wind. remind me again when summer is supposed to start.

my three jobs are all in full swing. a shift or two busing at the KEEP, 20+ hours slinging coffee and supervising a plethora of eager yet somewhat disinterested college girls, and 20+ hours of what i have named "the demolition derby", my new construction job. essentially, a wealthy real estate agent buys trailer houses, some for a little as 12 dollars, spends 3-5 grand on new flooring, carpet, cabinets and paint while throwing a small chunk at me, and then sells or rents the trailer houses while amassing a healthy profit. 12 dollars! seriously. i think i may become a slumlord.

as my hereditary fortune would have it, i have been blessed/cursed/bestowed a balding gene and have finally thrown in my towl, and put up the white flag. i shaved my head (#2 setting) and now love the simplicity of my new hair dew that a faux-hawk just couldnt provide. the soul patch stays, of course.

the bighorn 50 mile now looms 15 days away. i threw down a 28 mile trail run yesterday with one enormous climb in 4hrs 40 min. the afternoon heat zapped me and i battled stomach nausea/dry heaving/back cramps for 15 miles but finally hit my stride around the 26 mile point. then just to bring me back to reality, i crashed and burned. hard. with blood dripping 6 inches down my knee, debris flowing from my hip, and my morale/ego badly bruised i cruised in the last mile just happy to be done. i am planning on doing another 26 miler on wed and a 22 miler the following weekend all involving vicious climbs and painful descents. i am still very much in doubt as to whether i will register for the swan crest 100 mile. after yesterday, i began to realize that currently my only motive to run 100 miles is just to say i did it. and thats not good enough. so i may shelve that goal and "settle" with two 50 milers for this summer. if i do go through with the swan crest, i will be relying heavily on the veteran pacing skills and trail knowledge of jcd. no pressure man.

i am actively seeking new jobs/life plans/locations/etc for the fall and winter and will probably leave missoula in sept/oct if anything pans out. there is still much to be determined and many miles to run before than. ciao cabrones.

4 comments:

BK said...

debris flowing from your hip? That's horrible.

You could always come to college with me, Devin, and John in the fall. I'll get you a scholarship. Stanford wouldn't know what happened...

Good luck with the 50 miler, please keep us posted. While I struggle to run 4 miles in the flats, I think of you cruising up corkscrew on November 16th, 2007. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

run to potlatch.

Carrie said...

New Orleans is great in the fall. We're looking for another male roomate. And then you could see our Disney burlesque show in person!

BK said...

Sometimes I wonder if you survived the 50 mile race. I would appreciate an update of some sort.