Sunday, December 14, 2008

happy birthday mom

i was staring at my gas gauge the other day realizing it holds an extremely strong correlation with the overall health of my finances. i can't remember the last time it hit a quarter tank.

i spent an entire evening shuttling around drunk new englanders while rallying my truck on slippery snowy roads at 3am, chuckling, nursing a sprained ACL (my toms have no traction) and wondering why people spend so much money at bars. (prefunk?)

i watched a roomful of jamokes dance in my basement, while throwing out a barrage of requests...and they thanked me with an extreme case of dance floor ADD as i shuffled between daft punk/jay-z/mia/lcd soundsystem/the rapture/talking heads/beastie boys...with relatively little success

i stood proud as my sister and a select group of friends and roommates led the charge, and wouldn't let the energy die no matter what. and we laughed and mocked and screamed as people creamed themselves during paper planes. watching my roommates (also brothers) grind and freak was a little disconcerting.

i saw the temperature rise to 1 degree at 2pm, the official high for the day, and burrowed down in my polar bear puffy as jo and i hauled couches, shoes, dead peace lilies and peppermint schnapps up a snowy fight of stairs as the wind chill fell to 15 below zero.

i wished my mom a happy 50th birthday as she belted out her own rendition of the "tigger" song, and wondered how it would feel to be 25 or to have children, or to have a full time job, or to have responsibility, or to have blonde hair or to attend jazzercise.

i think i may take up jazzercise

4 comments:

BK said...

the gmd misses you. the g floor needs you. the salad station is not functional without you. come here and we can nurse our bad knees through jazzercise and yoga.

Unknown said...

"Next thing I knew I was standing motionless with my mouth agape watching the midget brothers grinding on each other."

caitlin said...

let 2009 see the return of the proper pre-funk. and the well-playlisted dance party.

Carrie said...

man I would get down to some of that. february dance party- yes please!

p.s. excellent- what do you call them- dugs- digs-?... hipster-clothes in the pictures below.

p.p.s sometimes I really like the non-words you have to type to verify you're a human. the one I got this time is: gotessa. like the goddess of the goats.
baah.